18 October 2014

How I Accidentally Bought a Fake Gucci Soho Bag!

As you may be able to tell from the title of this post, this is going to be the story of how I accidentally purchased a fake bag. Yes, it was horrible, but at the same time I want to share my story in hopes that it will help out a fellow purse lover!!

For the past 2 months I have been on the hunt for a Gucci Disco Soho handbag. I was obsessed!! I decided to take the plunge and to purchase on off of eBay. I looked for several weeks to find one that was in the color I wanted (Red), in excellent condition and for a reasonable price. 

The bag, isn't it lovely?

So finally, I thought I had found the one. This handbag was exactly what I wanted so I went for it! It was an auction so I entered the amount I was willing to spend, and to my astonishment I won the auction for a great deal less than the max I willing to spend on it! Clue #1- If the deal is too good to be true, it probably is. I won the handbag for a mere $530. Now that is a lot of money I know, but this handbag retails for $895 plus tax! I thought I had simply lucked out, so I happily paid the money and waited for my bag to arrive.


So the bag arrived, fairly quickly. Since I had purchased it on eBay I immediately inspected it of course. But I'm not going to lie, I thought it was authentic!! The leather smelled great, and it felt even better! The zipper worked well. I thought it was a winner. However, I knew this was not enough to prove its authenticity so I did more research, and that is when I discovered it was not real. 

With further inspection, the tag that says "Gucci made in italy" was really faint and fairly hard to read. It was almost non existent (you can see what I mean with the picture I took below)! When you look at the real deal, it is very clear to read and more imprinted, if that's the right word.


Another clue was the inside tag. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get a picture of this tag on the fake handbag but I do clearly remember how it looked like. Hopefully, I can paint a clear picture of it! There is a black tag, I believe its located on the left side, and on side said Gucci made in italy and the other side said 100% Cotone. That is WRONG.  Below I have a picture of what the tag should look like! As you can see the text wraps around the front and back! It has some numbers below and that is it!


Lastly, and really the most obvious flaw in my opinion, it the hardware above the tassels. On the fake I received. You can really see the differences in the hardware from the pictures I took and the ones I got from the Niemam Marcus website. First of all the bumps (not sure if that is the right term but let's go with it) stick out just a tiny bit too much as compared to the real ones. Secondly, on the fake there were only three of this bumps in total! While I am not sure how many bumps there should be, there should definitely be more than just 3!





So that is pretty much how I knew the handbag I received was not authentic! I was lucky enough to have brought from a seller who refunded me all of my money back, so all in all, this was a good learning experience! I really, really hope this will be helpful to those of you looking to buy this hand off of eBay, or anywhere else for that matter! Let me know if you have any question I would be happy to help!



XOXO,
D

.


13 comments:

  1. Wow, I have just been noticing the very same things on a bag I was recently so close to purchasing. I noticed the spaces between the rivets, the Gucci stamp on the inside label on mine looked like a modern font, and the zipper webbing was a lot lighter in colour than the genuine one. Thanks so much for sharing your story and I'm glad you got your money back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Auth Gucci soho diso they have stamp "Gucci" inside on the zipper?
    I just order once from Ebay and i fell weird about the seller.

    Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but unfortunately sme fakes also have that.

      Delete
  3. i also just purchased one but the studded disco, i am wondering if its fake although the seller says its def real

    ReplyDelete
  4. The same thing happened to me. The deal was too good to be true, the tag was wrong and the tassel detailing was the same as the one you showed. Thank you for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just purchased a fake gold soho after loving my black one so much which i bought in a gucci store. so many little details didn't match. the tag, the cording around the bottom has two seams. the metal hardware is not has heavy or smooth. my tassel is shorter and the top has a silver screw between the grommets! the leather on the fake one smells too strong and is not as supple as my real one. I'm waiting on a response from my seller, fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was able to purchase an authentic several months after this incident and I can totally see that there were so many other things that were just wrong with the fake.

      Hopefully all goes well for you! If you purchased through Paypal, you should be protected!

      Delete
    2. How about mytheresa website?. Is it authentic? I'm hunting for this bag quite sometimes and I saw mytheresa give quite a good price. Pls advise.

      Delete
  6. What a lovely bag this one is. I love gucci. And this gucci bag is so wonderful and cute. Looking that it is comfortable to carry on. I love comfortable accessories for my fashion as comfortable as my non iron dress shirts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I think I just purchased a fake one because I just noticed the seller re advertise the same bag again. How Can that be ? How can a seller with an authentic bag sell more than 1 bag exactly the same. The moment I noticed this I sent the seller a message only to notice she has taken this off immediately. I am yet to see my bag as it should be arriving any day. I have reported the seller and also sent another message advising I will be checking this out with a friend who has the same bag.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On Ssenter.com You Can Buy Replica Handbags, Shoes, Sunglasses, Incredible Sales For Black Friday!
    Hurry Up, Offer Available Only This Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Note to self it you don't go to Gucci.com, Saks, Neiman Marcus, Nordstrom, Bloomingdales save your cash

    ReplyDelete